Re: Difference Between Workgroup Server and Server Products

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/08

In article <01bc12d5$c2a41b00$66f077cc_at_markf>, Mark Friedman <marktf_at_ns.net> writes
>I haven't been able to identify the differences in features of these
>products. I'm wondering what features the Workgroup Server lacks. Any
>help would be appreciated. I've looked at Oracle's web site and didn't
>find a document that explained the differences.

Oracle Enterprise Server (or Universal Server as it is now being called) consists of

RDBMS
Distributed Option
Parallel Query Option
Advanced Replication Option
(possibly some others)

and can be upgraded to include

Context Option
Spatial Data Option
Parallel Server Option.

Oracle Workgroup Server consists of only the RDBMS, and can't be upgraded directly.

Workgroup server is about half the price and has a lower minimum number of licences. It is aimed at smallish systems (perhaps up to 50 users, depending on application).

--
Jim Smith