Re: Having Oracle DB restrict invalid frontends

From: Thomas Griffin <tgriffin_at_qualitech.com>
Date: 1997/02/06

Gregory R. George wrote:

> I'm looking for a way for the backend DBMS (Oracle 7.3) to restrict
> all front end applications except for those allowed.
>
> For example, I want the DBMS to allow a user to log on through a
> specific PB application, but not through Access, SQL Plus, other PB
> apps, etc.
>
> I'm trying to brainstorm for possible ways to implement this, so any
> feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Greg

> Gregory R. George
> ggeorge_at_do.usbr.gov

We had the same problem when our users got Crystal Reports and the following was our solution.

We modified every users password to be there old password concatenated with a constant string. The PB login script appends this string to the old password that the user types in and then connects. For the string we used something like '0495'. So Scott thinks his password is 'tiger' when it is really 'tiger0495'. The users, hopefully, will never figure this out.

To let them run reports, we gave them reporting usernames and password that have select only on certain views in the db.

There is probably a better way than this but we did not have time to think about it.

--
Thomas Griffin
Project Leader