Opinions needed! Performace problems.....

From: Marc Scheuner <marc.scheuner_at_NO.SPAM.PLEASE.ch>
Date: 1997/02/05

We are developing a solution with Delphi (1.0) as the front-end client tool, and with Oracle RDBMS as the database in the background.

We have one central location where our main Oracle RDBMS is running on a Digital Alpha server. We have 30 locations throughout the country that work with our applications. These locations are connected to the central RDBMS using a Frame Relay network with 32 KBit/s basic bandwidth. All data is stored locally right now.

How can you get a decent Client/Server solution in such a setup? How would you go ahead and develop a data-entry / information system type of application?

We were using TQuery components in Delphi, that send off SQL queries to the central database, but we have experienced very slow performance because Oracle's SQL*Net seems to return way too many records; even when we select only one record, roughly 20 are transmitted, and with all the acknowledge traffic going back and forth, we have way too much traffic on the slow WAN and therefore unacceptable performance.

We were able to speed up one small application by substituting SQL queries with stored procedures that return only one record through parameters, but for the next step this approach seems unsuitable, since we have lots of cases when we will receive more than just one single records, but any number of detail records for a given master record.

Any hints / tips are welcome!
Marc

Marc Scheuner, marc.scheuner_at_bernoise.ch CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland Received on Wed Feb 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST