Re: Opinions needed! Performace problems.....

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/02/06

From original note >>
We are developing a solution with Delphi (1.0) as the front-end client tool, and with Oracle RDBMS as the database in the background. <<
I know nothing about Delphi, But from reading other threads about Delphi access to Oracle I have picked up the following. Since Oracle database stored procedures can not return a set of rows to the caller even in Oracle you will not be able to return a set to Delphi. Oracle is said to be working on this.

I would recommend that you capture the SQL being passed to Oracle and explain plan or tkprof the sessions to verify that the SQL being executed is efficient. You may not be able to do anything about the network in the short term, but you can make sure that Oracle puts the data on the network as fast as possible.

Yes, sql*net used lots of little packages to transmit its data. Note that Oracle has several desktop products like SQL*Forms 4.5 that can use both sql and pl/sql to access Oracle tables and these may be a better choice for complex pc based applications where Oracle is the back end. Received on Thu Feb 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST