Archive Log Backup in DCL

From: Michael Alan Kline, Sr. <mkline_at_dbsol.com>
Date: 1997/01/31

While most of my clients are in Unix, I have a customer who is going to be creating a new archive log database on a VAX running Open VMS. I could use a DCL backup that will backup each of the tablespaces one at a time with the usual "alter tablespace begin backup", followed by the copy to a hard disk, followed by the "alter tablespace end backup." Then I'll need to backup the control file and last but not least backup the archive log files and purge by day or percent the archive log directory.

I don't care if I have to edit it, but I know what ever I get will be far easier than "reinventing the wheel". The one I used to have access to in a Unix environment read the dba_data_files, etc., and built in a compress after it had copied all the datafiles. It allowed me to back up nearly 28 gig on a 4 gig drive, but then again, this was Unix.

Thanks.

Michael Alan Kline, Sr.
800-933-7668
mkline_at_dbsol.com Received on Fri Jan 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST