Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Chris Tirpak <cbtirpak_at_fred.net>
Date: 1997/01/21

<snip>

Keep something else in mind, Linux users don't like to pay for anything. I you were Oracle and you were charging $2500 per user or whatever they are charging, you would look at linux and say NO WAY - they won't even pay for an OS that costs 1/3 of the price of the database. Most Oracle instalations support lots and lots of users and the Oracle software ends up costing several times the amount of the OS + Hardware.

The support headaches for Oracle would be amazing (expensive). Even if they sent out Oracle certified on a particlar version of linux - linux users are the types (no insult intended here - I think this is a good thing) to go out and try new stuff on their linux installation. The user will then end up (in many cases) calling Oracle and trying to get it to work with their configuration. Since there are an infinite number of ways to mix and match linux this would be harder than even the Solaris X86 situation someone else described.

Just my 2 cents.