Re: Oracle Gurus -Help with SQLNet 2.3

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/01/17

Vilhelm Hallstrom wrote:

> Orainst says I have installed SQLnet2 and Oracle TCP/IP network adapter
> but i didn't pick them when installing -are they now installed?
> -When I run "adapters" it says No adapters installed, No protocols
> installed!

  Yes. At least you require to install SQL*Net V2 for interprocess communication. Otherwise, there will be no adapter supported above the SQL*Net stack.

> I didn't choose "create database objects" when installing -do i have to
> for SQLNet?
> -If I have to, do I have to Reinstall the complete Oracle (or just
> update dbobjects)?

  You can run the Oracle Install to install the new products without reinstallation.

> Do I have to configure/create the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora etc on a
> MSWindows machine?

  If you will use SQL*Net from client side (Windows), you need to do in this way.

> -In that case, is that software bundled with the Oracle Server (and
> where is it located-we also
> have the windows-distribution)?

  No.

> Do I have to install OracleNames to be able to connect with LiveWire?
> -In that case, is it installed together with SQLNet?

  Oracle Name is an optional choice for the installation SQL*Net. It makes you easier to configure your network.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841