Oracle Gurus -Help with SQLNet 2.3

From: Vilhelm Hallstrom <vilhelm_at_ondisplay.se>
Date: 1997/01/17

Hello there.

I have installed Oracle Server 7.3.2.2 on a Sun Solaris 2.5.1 (ultrasparc machine).
The database is working fine, but i need to setup SQLNet (2.3) to connect through LiveWire.
(The Oracle server and Enterprise+Livewire are on the same machine). I dont intend to connect via any other machine.

My questions are:

Do i need to have Oracle installed as client/server (I think its now serverbased)?
-In that case, where to I get this option?

Orainst says I have installed SQLnet2 and Oracle TCP/IP network adapter but i didn't pick them when installing -are they now installed?
-When I run "adapters" it says No adapters installed, No protocols
installed!

I didn't choose "create database objects" when installing -do i have to for SQLNet?
-If I have to, do I have to Reinstall the complete Oracle (or just
update dbobjects)?

Do I have to configure/create the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora etc on a MSWindows machine?
-In that case, is that software bundled with the Oracle Server (and
where is it located-we also
have the windows-distribution)?

Do I have to install OracleNames to be able to connect with LiveWire?
-In that case, is it installed together with SQLNet?

Is a SQLNet client also installed locally with SQLNet or isn't this relevant when communicating with the server on the same machine?

I know this is many questions, but I really need you help (I'm not familiar with oracle and I find
the documentation weak and spread out over several manuals).

Best regards
Vilhelm Received on Fri Jan 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST