Re: Support Dropped For 7.0.16 & 7.2?

From: Tim Cuthbertson <Tim.E.Cuthbertson_at_bridge.bst.bls.com>
Date: 1997/01/15

DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM wrote:

> My client is using an application based on 7.0.16; their outsourced DBA
> says support will be dropped for both these versions. I know when V6 was
> "dropped" additional support could be purchased for at least year. Is
> this true for these versions? Thanx.

If you can locate a copy of IOUC Special Report on Strategic Issues, Vol. 1 No. 1 October, 1996, there is an in-depth discussion on Desupport/Discontinuation.

Specifically, Oracle stresses that Discontinuation of a product and Desupport of that product are distinct and separate events. In general, it seems that they continue to support products for some time after discontinuing them. Of course, you already know this. The article goes on to describe Oracle's process for deciding when to desupport a product and it says that each product is decided upon, individually. I.e., there is no set time period such as the one year you suggested. Received on Wed Jan 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CST