Re: Denormalize or not?

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/02

Z. Martinez wrote:

> I want to get rid of the SUM fields to reduce the table size, reduce
> DISK I/O, and hopefully reduce execution time.
>
> I'm thinking of creating a view to just generate the sum fields on the
> fly, but I want to know if it would reduce the load on the system. I
> don't think that summing 40 number columns for the 5 SUM columns would
> put much load on the system as retrieving 5 more columns from disk.
>
> I appreciate any information on this.
> Any references to books that discusses this type of problem are very
> much welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Please send your response to zlm101_at_psu.edu

I agree with your thinking. The extra load from the arithmetic should be inconsequential compared to the time saved by reducing the number of disk blocks that must be read to complete the query. A view would make it easier to use and might prevent changing the application SQL.

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services