Re: How to change user "INTERNAL" passwd ?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/11/04

aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:

>I just installed Oracle 7.3.2.1 on a Solaris X86 machine
>and then tried to change user internal's passwd, which by
>default is set to "manager". But it doesn't work. I was
>able to change user "system" passwd but not internal.
>I am not sure why and would appreciate any hints. Here is
>what happens when I try :

There's a password file in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory usually called something like orapw* where * is the SID name. You need to delete this file and use the orapwd utility to create another one. If you want the password to be LETMEIN for an instance name orcl7, first change the password of user sys to "letmein" (to allow remote administration under the new password), then...

cd $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
rm orapworcl7
orapwd file=orapworcl7 password=letmein entries=5

Next, bounce the database.

The entries parameter has to do with how many users' password are stored in this o/s password file to allow remote users to administer the database by connect as sysdba (assuming they've been first granted the privilege). I usually set it to 5.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!