MS Word template from Oracle dbms

From: John Fenner <jfenner_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/11/01

I am building an Oracle based intranet using a HP 9000 G70 server, running hp-ux 10.x and Oracle 7.x. The clients are Pentium PCs running Windows NT workstation 3.5. All user interaction with the database is via web access. I want to build a MS Word document based upon database records (think of a form letter where the database will update heading information).

        I have already build a MS Word template which uses merge fields. I loaded this template onto the unix server and made a link to it from a web page. When the user selects the link, I use MIME encoding to launch MS Word on the client and can display the template.

        Also, I use UTL_FILE available with PL/SQL 2.3 to write a tab or comma delimited file from the Oracle database which can server as either the header or data source for the template. My problem is that I can't get Word on the PCs to read either the header or data file from the unix server.

        Any ideas?

        Is anybody out there doing anything similar?

        Please post replies or email direct to:

jfenner_at_erols.com

Thanks in advance. Received on Fri Nov 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CST