Re: Can't connect to server

From: Fokke Nauta <usenet_at_solfon.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 09:38:07 +0100

[Quoted] On 27/03/2019 21:26, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 3/27/19 6:48 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> On 27/03/2019 18:34, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Do you get an error like:
>>> ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'databasename'
>>>
>>> In this case you have misspelled the database name, fix the typo.
>>>

>>> Do you get an error like:
>>> ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111
>>> "Connection refused")
>>>
>>> Then your grant do not allow connection to the database server, take
>>> a look at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/grant.html
>>>
>>> And add a grant something like:
>>> GRANT SELECT ON db2.invoice TO 'jeffrey'_at_'127.0.0.1';
>>>

>>> If neither of the cases are covered here, please the give us the
>>> complete error message.
>>>

>> I don't get real error messages.
>> On my pc I use Helium (a music database program) which wants to
>> connect to the database on the server. Helium says: "Cannot access the
>> selected server."
>> I installed Helium on the server itself, and there it connects to the
>> database allright. But not on my pc or another pc.

> This can be caused by two different things:
>
> 1. You have only granted localhost user to access the database.
>
> You need to grant privileges for users connecting from other places
> GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE ON heliumdb TO 'heliumuser'_at_'*';
>
> Don't forget to flush or restart the database.
>

> 2. The mysql server only listens on the lo-network
>
> Check your my.cnf and see that you don't have a bind-address set to
> 127.0.0.1, if you have change that to 0.0.0.0 and restart your mysql
> service.
>

>> How do I get error messages? Look into the event viewer on my pc?

> Install a mysql client on the linux-pc or windows-pc and connect to the
> server.

[Quoted] I installed MySQL Workbench on my pc. First of all it couldn't find any database. When I tried to connect to a database, an error message appeared: Cannot connect to database server. I also saw that the user is 'root'_at_xxxx.fritz.box, whereas xxxx is the name of my pc, and our router is a Fritzbox. Why is there the extension fritz.box, and does it cause the disability to connect?

BTW, the binding to 0.0.0.0 is in the my.ini file.

And I don't know anything about granted localhost.

Fokke Received on Thu Mar 28 2019 - 09:38:07 CET

Original text of this message