Re: Can't connect to server

From: Fokke Nauta <usenet_at_solfon.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:48:18 +0100

On 27/03/2019 18:34, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 3/27/19 4:42 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Installed MySQL Community Server 8.0.15 on a server in our LAN running
>> Windows 10 Pro 64b. Installation went well, MySQL is up and running.
>> With PHPMyAdmin on another pc I can log in and see the various databases.
>> On the same pc I have two applications which use two of the databases,
>> each just one. They can't connect, however. One says the database
>> cannot be found, the other says "Cannot access the selected server.".
>> Also on another pc I cannot connect to the databases.
>> On all pc's Windows Defender is disabled, and firewalls have 3306
>> open. I even disabled the firewalls completely but that didn't make a
>> difference.
>>
>> What can be wrong?

> Don't know as your error message are missing, so can just guess.
>

> Do you get an error like:
> ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'databasename'
>
> In this case you have misspelled the database name, fix the typo.
>

> Do you get an error like:
> ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111
> "Connection refused")
>
> Then your grant do not allow connection to the database server, take a
> look at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/grant.html
>
> And add a grant something like:
> GRANT SELECT ON db2.invoice TO 'jeffrey'_at_'127.0.0.1';
>

> If neither of the cases are covered here, please the give us the
> complete error message.

I don't get real error messages.
On my pc I use Helium (a music database program) which wants to connect to the database on the server. Helium says: "Cannot access the selected server."
I installed Helium on the server itself, and there it connects to the database allright. But not on my pc or another pc. The second program is DBGallery, a photo database program. It also wants to connect to a database on the server. It says: "The database  >> cannot be found".
No spelling errors or wrong IP addresses. How do I get error messages? Look into the event viewer on my pc?

Fokke Received on Wed Mar 27 2019 - 18:48:18 CET

Original text of this message