Can't Start MySQL Server from PHP

From: Joseph Hesse <joeh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 05:49:17 -0500

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am running MySQL 8.011 and PHP 7.2.6 on Fedora 28 Linux.

I tried PHP to connect to the server with the usual command:

$conn = _at_mysqli_connect(DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD, DB_NAME) OR die('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysqli_connect_error() );

and got the error message:

"Could not connect to MySQL: The server requested authentication method unknown to the client"

The values of DB_HOST, etc are correct and they work when I connect to the server from the command line.

I tried changing default-authentication-plugin to mysql_native_password in my.cnf and restarting the server but I got the same error message.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Joe Received on Wed Jun 20 2018 - 12:49:17 CEST

Original text of this message