MySQL Partioning

From: Henry Chan <chan.henry.l_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 08:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

[Quoted] I'm currently load testing different partitioning schemes but while that was waiting to finish, I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on the different schemes that I'm testing and whether or not there will be gotchas in the future that I should watch for.

[Quoted] [Quoted] We have a huge table that we're partitioning out (more to come) and the two schemes we were deciding on were database sharding and table sharding.

[Quoted] For database sharding, we would have many logical databases on one MySQL instance. Is there anything about this I should be worried about? Overhead of databases? I'm not too familiar with the internals but maybe the mapping between databases and tables is sufficient enough overhead that this might be an issue?

[Quoted] For table sharding, we will have one database on one MySQL instance that will have many tables representing the shards. Are there certain overheads in accessing many of these different tables that I should worry about because they're all on one database?

Generally, which scheme would people recommend for partitioning? Received on Mon May 22 2017 - 17:09:40 CEST

Original text of this message