Re: VARCHAR ( n )

From: Gordon Burditt <gordonb.vfrgj_at_burditt.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:04:37 -0500

>> <https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/>

Ok, I'll bite. What names can't be put in UTF-8 (this doesn't mean that all machine-readable names ARE in UTF-8, but only that they COULD BE), and why not? Is it simply because they are still adding scripts to Unicode? (Name a specific character that is missing and used in names of present-day living people, not, for example, kings in power when Linear A was popular.) Is it because of blatant discrimination that character glyphs used by other species (e.g. the dances of bees, or Klingons (they got rejected), or Ferengi) are not accepted? Or is it because NO ONE has a complete set of Unicode fonts?

Here are some more proposed myths, and I wonder if anyone has counterexamples:

41. People's names (and initials) do not contain ASCII control

     characters, such as the ASCII BEL character, tab, newline, and
     control-C
42.  When a name is stored on a punch card, the first two characters
     are not /* or // (which is asking for trouble if someone slaps
     some JCL around a deck of data cards, particularly if this card
     is sent out to customers and later returned (you hope unmodified)
     with payment, which used to be the case with phone bills in
     Troy, New York in the early 1970's.)