Re: creating view with user variable

From: David <david.greenhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:41:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 3:27:55 PM UTC, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 1/26/2017 9:59 AM, David wrote:

> >> P.S. When getting an error message, please show the entire statement and
> >> the error message you get. Otherwise we have to guess.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ==================
> >> Remove the "x" from my email address
> >> Jerry Stuckle
> >> jstucklex_at_attglobal.net
> >> ==================
> >
> > Sorry Jerry, Yes I know I should have given the more information and the full error.
> >
> > So my Procedure creation is like this:
> >
> > CREATE PROCEDURE test(IN AccountID INT(15), IN FIELD VARCHAR(15), IN DIRECTION VARCHAR(4))
> >
> > And basically I want "FIELD" and "DIRECTION" to be within the ORDER BY clause like this:
> >
> > SELECT orderID,package,details FROM userOrders WHERE uid = AccountID ORDER BY FIELD DIRECTION;
> >
> > so if the procedure is called like:
> >
> > CALL test(1000,'orderID','ASC');
> >
> > then the procedure will swap out FIELD and DIRECTION for orderID and ASC like:
> >
> > SELECT orderID,package,details FROM userOrders WHERE uid = AccountID ORDER BY orderID ASC;
> >
> > I hope this makes more sense.
> >
> > I know using javascript is probably a lot more efficient, but at the moment I would like to keep the procedure doing the work.
> >
> > Dave.
> >

> Dave,
>
> Sorry, SQL doesn't allow you to specify column names like this. It's
> not must MySQL - it's also true in every other RDBMS I'm familiar with.
>
> --
> ==================
> Remove the "x" from my email address
> Jerry Stuckle
> jstucklex_at_attglobal.net
> ==================

Hmmm, I was just about to update this post stating I have managed to do it when I notice you say its not possible :/

So in case anyone else comes across this issue, here is how I did it using CONCAT()... leaving out a lot of the SQL (as I dont think its relevant

DELIMITER $$
CREATE PROCEDURE fetchClientOrders(IN AccountID INT(11), IN col VARCHAR(15), IN dir VARCHAR(4))  BEGIN

  SET _at_accountID = AccountID;
  SET _at_col = col;
  SET _at_dir = dir;
  SET _at_sort = CONCAT('ORDER BY ',_at_col,' ',_at_dir,'');
  SET _at_query = CONCAT('SELECT orderID,orderDetails,package,submissionDate FROM userOrders WHERE acc_id = ',_at_accountID,' ',_at_sort,'');
PREPARE stmt FROM _at_query;
EXECUTE stmt;
DEALLOCATE PREPARE stmt;
END$$ Dave. Received on Thu Jan 26 2017 - 16:41:34 CET

Original text of this message