Re: Backup to cloud?

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:38:15 -0500

On 12/15/2016 2:56 PM, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:37:41 -0500, Rhino wrote:

>> I know of The Cloud but I haven't had to write code that works with the
>> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
>> Windows version) to the cloud? If so, how does one write the command to
>> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.
>>
>> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
>> do it indirectly?

> This is possibly the best trolling post I've seen this year. And it's
> December 15th in an election year.
>
> (In the long odds that it's a serious post, the whole benefit for this
> is that you're putting your backup someplace else than just your own
> computer. So however you do that, even to the point of putting the
> backup on a USB stick that you leave at Mom's house once a week and take
> home the one you made two weeks ago, is good enough.)

Actually, I don't think backing up to the cloud is all that bad of an idea. Responsible cloud backup services provide the option to encrypt the data such that even they cannot get to it. And the advantage of a cloud backup over a USB stick is the cloud backup is available all of the time - not just when you're at your Mom's house. Additionally, multiple (trusted) people can have access to it for when the main DBA isn't available.

I've got a few encrypted backups on dropbox right now, plan on going another way; probaby buying a bunch of extra disk space on my out of state server and mash it up thataway.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address