Re: upgrade from 5.5.49 to 5.7

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 10:01:18 +0200

On 04/29/2016 09:47 PM, kenwilber wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I have problems upgrading mysql from version 5.5.49 to latest version
> When I run mysql-installer-web-community and click on "upgrade" it says
> there is no upgrade. I have refreshed the catalog but still nothing.
> Then I clicked "Add" button and there appeared mySqlServer 5.7.12 and I
> have installed it, not configured yet because now it says port 3036 is
> already in use (by mysql 5.5.49).
>
> So it didn't allowed me to update from 5.5.49 but allowed me a fresh new
> install of 5.7.12.
>
> Now I have the following installation:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44662040/2016-04-29%2021_45_31-MySQL%20Installer.png
>

> version 5.7 is installed in different folder than 5.5.49 version.
> Do I have to mannually now transfer all the settings and data from old
> folder to new one?

You make a database dump in your 5.5.49, except for the mysql-database, you import the dump in 5.7.12 and then you have to copy user privileges and passwords in a manual manner.

Dump database instructions:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysqldump.html

Get privileges:
SELECT CONCAT('SHOW GRANTS FOR ''',user,'''_at_''',host,''';') FROM mysql.user WHERE user<>''

The result you will get from this query, you need to run each row, execute the result on your new database.

> Is there any simplier method for all this?

Yes, run the database on an Unix or Linux, then the installer will put the binaries in the right place which allows you to make an update, as long as you do use the OS provided version.

--

 //Aho