Re: Free text search in MySQL

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:07:57 -0400

On 3/31/2016 5:45 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 31/03/16 19:25, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Conciseness can one deceive over the underlying complexity.
>
> Worse, it can make a seemingly blindingly neat piece of SQL into a total
> performance nightmare, as I discovered trying to build a relational
> database out of 50 million lines of a-relational CSV.
>
> In the end I threw all but the simplest 'read a line of this table' out,
> and used C code to do the smarts, It ran about 1000 times faster tuned
> to the task than generic MySQL did. I had written the code and done the
> task before the 'clever SQL' would have finished running.

That's because you have no idea how to design or optimize a database. But that's not at all surprising for you.

> And I am not the only one to notice this. Much as I love MySQL its
> ability to not turn complex queries into efficient internal algorithms
> is rather marked. Be warned.

No, I'm sure your other idiot friend know this, also.

> Sometimes its as easy to read the entire table in, and sort through the
> records at application level, especially when you haven't got a good
> index on the field you are searching in. And let your machines virtual
> memory take the strain, rather than MySQL's 'temporary table' architecture.

Yup, for anonymous idiots who got fired as ditch diggers for not knowing which end of the shovel to use, that's pretty normal.

Knowledgeable people know how to make an RDBMS work *efficiently*.

MySQL is not the right answer for everything - but it *does* work very well - *when you know how to use it*. Which you've repeatedly shown you don't.

I've gotten very good response out of MySQL databases with much more than 50M rows.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address