Re: You can't do this with MySQL!

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:10:23 +0100

On 11/22/2015 03:01 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> In my SQL course I am asked relatively often about how to do
> things that cannot be done with MySQL easily:
>
> - calculate the median(s) or quartiles of a sample

For medians there are queries you can use, it's quite well discussed on the mysql documents comment section:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/group-by-functions.html

and there is a nice blogpost about quartiles: http://rpbouman.blogspot.se/2008/07/calculating-nth-percentile-in-mysql.html

> - create contingency tables or pivot tables from a table

Here are some example:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MySQL/Pivot_table

> What tools are used in addition to MySQL most often to do
> such evaluations with MySQL? - SPSS? R? Perl? PHP?

Depends on what you think it's easiest to use.

--

 //Aho