Re: Design-stage advice and opinions welcomed

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:57:04 +0100

On 28/09/15 11:46, Derek Turner wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 23:53:46 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> This may all seem like a bit of a hassle - but in the long run it will
>> be a lot less than trying to match information across multiple tables.
>
> Point taken, but my idea now is to present the exceptions separately on
> the page. So there will a heading on the page something like "normal
> meeting times" then another heading "these are the exceptions of which we
> are aware". No attempt to match.
>
> That's very much the format of the paper-based information currently
> distributed.

It is never a bad idea to base a business IT model on 'the way things are done, that works' but sometimes that is the springboard for 'but this too will cover those bases and indeed be simpler'

People seem to fear total data normalisation, but unless the application is huge, the actual SQL queries, or sometimes high level code algorithms to extract insert and update data into such, are not hard nor inefficient to perform.

Especially with considered application of indices.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.