Re: mysql lenght() and char_length not working for longer texts

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars_at_web.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:09:37 +0200

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> Axel Schwenke wrote:

>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars_at_web.de> wrote:
>>> It will not.  In UTF-8, a Unicode character can be encoded with up to 6
>>> 8-bit bytes.
>> Again: the context is MySQL. Here a column with CHARACTER SET utf8 can
>> use at most 3 bytes per character because MySQL supports only
>> characters from the BMP (Unicode U+0 ... U+FFFF) […]

> This is confirmed by the manual. It also confirms that MySQL can support
> characters beyond the BMP now with using different "character sets". (A
> pity that you did not care to substantiate your statements with a
> reference.)

I see now that I had overlooked that part while trimming. You mentioned the other "character sets" and did provide a reference, albeit an outdated one.

One wonders, though, why you have not contradicted Lennart as emphatically, who has claimed the possibility of four-byte code sequences in the context of MySQL’s "utf8".

--
PointedEars

Twitter: _at_PointedEars2