Re: Choosing MySQL or NoSQL Database For My Scenario

From: Herman Viaene <herman.viaene_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 20:35:20 +0200

mbilal_at_aurorasolutions.io wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a scenario where i have to store timesheets of different projects.
> The object graph is like this: Timesheet->Project->User
>
> A user can create multiple projects. And a project can have multiple
> timesheets. So in my scenario it is expected that timesheet data will grow
> continuously. So if I create a table for timesheet in MySQL the data in it
> will start growing continuously which can become a bottleneck. I have to
> read timesheets also i have to edit them and create new ones quite often.
>
> So can you please guide which database is best for this scenario MySQL or
> NoSQL database(MongoDb and Cassandra). If NoSQL is best please tell me
> which would be best MongoDb or Cassandra. I have review both of them quite
> in detail but cannot decide which one to use.
>
> I also have a requirement to index tables by multiple fields.
>
> I have read about mongodb and cassandra both are good at insertion, but
> cassandra is good at updating data.
>
> Please suggest me good solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Bilal
Personal opinion:
1. I would not touch nosql databases with a pole. Reason: you put yourself open to all kind of errors that the relational model avoids for you at no cost.
2. Sure your timesheet table wil grow, but how long will your projects last? Will a project take a month, some months or years????? Anyway, projects closed and paid for can be archived, is there any need to keep them online all the time after that???

Herman Viaene Received on Tue May 12 2015 - 20:35:20 CEST

Original text of this message