Re: utf-8 characters not show up properly in the result of mysql> select command line

From: Luuk <luuk_at_invalid.lan>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 18:54:17 +0100

What happens if you test following code: <?php

         echo "tést";
         echo "<br>";
         echo strlen("tést");
         echo "<br>";
         echo "test";
         echo "<br>";
         echo strlen("test");
         echo "<br>";

?>

Does it produce this as output (it should!): tést
5
test
4

to output of this php code (from commandline): $ php utftest.php | hexdump -C
00000000 74 c3 a9 73 74 3c 62 72 3e 35 3c 62 72 3e 74 65 |t..st<br>5<br>te|

00000010  73 74 3c 62 72 3e 34 3c  62 72 3e                 |st<br>4<br>|
0000001b

notice the 'é' uses two bytes because it's utf8

Finally, this seems like a PHP problem, and not a mysql problem?