Re: OT - Thanks To Those Who've Hosted This List

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 07:29:03 -0400

On Sun, 2024-04-14 at 23:50 -0700, Jared Still wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> It was initially an act of desperation.
>
> As you were around in the SUNY days, I am sure you understand.
>
> In about the year 2000 or so, I had posted a question that was of
> particular importance to me, as the people on that initial version of
> Oracle-L would have some good advice.
>
> The list was down, and as I recall it stayed down for about weeks.
>
> I even tracked down the owner of the list, found his phone number and
> called him,  leaving voice mail to ask if he knew when the issues might
> be resolved.
>
> No reply.
>
> Hence, this list was created.
>
> Thanks to Steve Adams for assuming 'ownership' all those years ago, as he
> is in Australia, and therefor immune to the legal threats posed by one
> member of the list (he offered Silver Bullet solutions ).
>
> And many kudos to Mark Bobak for have administered the list in recent
> years.
>

> Jared Still
> Principal Consultant at Pythian
> Oracle ACE Alumni
> Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/
> Github: https://github.com/jkstill
> Personality: http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

There are those among us who have slightly different version of the events, especially about the reign of Steve Adams. I see no reason to open the old wounds. However,the above version of events is a tad too rosy for my taste. I, on the other hand, have misunderstood the purpose of the list and have striven to make it into something that was simply not possible. I am in complete agreement about Mark Bobak, who really deserves every praise for his light handed management of the list.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database SME