Re: Oracle 8i to 19c migration

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:17:13 -0500

On 11/23/23 12:38, Shravan Kumar Kota wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We have 8i db in hpux server , now we are moving to 19c in Linux server.
>
> Which method will be good and smooth o migrate the data.
>
> Thanks,
> Skumar.

The simplest one would be export/import. I am talking about the old exp/imp utilities, not the "data pump" version of the utilities. The "data pump" version is not supported on 8i. Oracle 19c should be able to digest an export file from Oracle 8i, but that should be tested. Another method would be replication. Golden Gate would be ideal for the task but I am not sure whether Oracle 8i is supported. If that doesn't work, some open source replication may help: ReplicateDB is my favorite because it's extremely simple to configure. There is also SymmetricDS. Last but not least is the classic dump to CSV files and loading them manually into 19C.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant