Re: Slow Update

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:37:26 +0000

I didn't say "swap the stats" I said "swap some details of the stats". It's a fine distinction, but I certainly wouldn't expect Amit to ask for and import a full metadata export with stats of Jo's table.

Don't forget that the plan is set by the optimizer's best guess of what's going to happen at run time, so it's fairly irrelevant that one of the components of the guesswork didn't execute at all. However, it feels a little suprising that adaptive execution didn't come into play to switch the hash join to a nested loop join (it is 19c, after all) when the vw_nso_1 completed and acquired so little data. (I can't see any place in the output where we could find out if adaptive execution had been disabled - I thought it would show in the optimizer environment, but there's no mention there. Maybe there's a restriction on adaptive execution when there are "conditional" subqueries in play.)

Regards
Jonathan Lewis