Re: randomize_va_space

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 20:03:58 -0400

On 5/10/23 12:54, Chris Taylor wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are we finding here?   Is Oracle's support
> stance that it should be disabled but it is enabled in their images ?
> Based on what I'm seeing in this thread, is that correct?
>
> Wouldn't surprise me, but is annoying if that is the case.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

The setting of 2 is allegedly safe, only the "brk" area is randomized. According to the Linux documentation, that will not afflict the legacy applications. The default of 2 is Linux default, not Oracle default:

    cat randomize_va_space
    2

    [mgogala_at_umajor kernel]$ cat /etc/redhat-release     Fedora release 38 (Thirty Eight)

I am running Fedora on my desktop, it's a bit cheaper than Windows. For Oracle, I am using VirtualBox and Podman (sane version of Docker) and I don't have any Oracle instances running directly on my Fedora desktop. Yet, the parameter is set to 2, which means that the default is mandated by Linux. Oracle has just recommended the solution, should you get this error. There is nothing unusual about this, no deep state conspiracy.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant