Re: To Swap, or not to Swap

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 15:29:39 +0200

I too keep on coming across systems with no swap. Our YugabyteDB systems are setup with no swap. And my first reaction was identical to most others: what?! No swap?!

Since then, my position to swap or no swap is much more seeing the benefit, and not being fiercely against it. Of course the only right answer to swap or not is: it depends.

The way I see it, is that swap is like a soft pillow. If you are running into memory shortage, swap will soften the landing, and make the system increasingly slower, then coming to a standstill and then still kill the system. And therefore the question to ask is: do we want to get into a situation of unpredictable slowness before the OOM kill? The latter is how I look at it now: there have been countless hours spent on trying to make sense of swap, trying to understand and tune swap and swapping, whilst there always is, and must be an actual problem that caused swap. So removing it removes that discussion and gets you more straight into facing the problem.

There are two thing that I see additionally: - you might argue that it’s swap will only mildly be used (…in your case). I would argue that if you cannot control the server to only take the actual memory, and it swaps, how the hell can you control it to just mildly swap? - many servers perform some swapping whilst memory pressure is never seen. One common reason for that is that buffered IO is treated with equal priority as memory allocations. That means that if you start performing lots of IOs using buffered calls, the OS might, and will, start paging out existing memory allocations that have not recently been touched, such as bootstrap code for an application because the buffered IO gotten higher priority. One extremely common case that such a case happens is with most common backups. (I hope this will be an “aha” moment for lots of people asking why their database server starts to allocate some swap, whilst it never did get over allocated)

Frits Hoogland