RE: Extra blank characters querying SQL server from Oracle

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 18:32:23 -0500

try turning formatting off on the sql plus side, if that doesn’t fix it, use termout to a file and edit the file in hex or octal to see what the heck you are getting.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2023 5:37 PM
To: xt.and.r_at_gmail.com
Cc: mark.powell2_at_dxc.com; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Extra blank characters querying SQL server from Oracle

Did you mean "nls_nchar_conv_excp" ? I tried changing that at session level and ran the query with the same results. Tried modifying couple of other NLS parameters (at session level) no luck.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 3:38 PM Sayan Malakshinov <xt.and.r_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Have you checked your NLS_NCHAR?

Best regards,
Sayan Malakshinov
Oracle performance tuning expert
Oracle Database Developer Choice Award winner Oracle ACE
http://orasql.org

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023, 19:53 Powell, Mark, <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com> wrote:

What version of the Oracle Gateway is in use? Which driver?

What version is the target SQL Server?

You could as a workaround and if no one else provides a better solution use an ltrim (or trim) function on the select.

Mark Powell

Database Administration

(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2023 2:27 PM
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Extra blank characters querying SQL server from Oracle

Hi,

We have configured Oracle Gateway to query SQL server from our Oracle 19 database. However the results add a blank character to every character returned for columns in sql server that are defined as unicode columns, ie, nvarchar columns.

Here is an example of a query result in SQL plus with the source table in sql server:

    emp_id emp_name                  city
---------- ------------------------- ----------
       100 M u t h u                 New York
       200 G a r y                   Seattle
       201 D a v e                   Oak Brook

The table definition on the sql server side is:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[employee](
[emp_id] [smallint] NULL,
[emp_name] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
[city] [char](10) NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]      Is there a way in Oracle to strip off the blanks automatically, in this example for the emp_name column?

Thanks,

Ram