Re: chatGPT for troubleshooting Oracle errors

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:22:08 -0500

ChatGPT suggested for a ORA-600 that I shutdown abort my database and do an rm -rf on my file system. That will probably get rid of the error but I got that weird feeling like when I get an email supposedly from my bank telling me that I’ve won some kind of prize and to click the link to claim it now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 23, 2023, at 10:16 AM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I did try to use chatGPT for a few oracle errors we were getting as we tried to set up a standby.  Two of the responses were nothing more than what I could read from the Oracle online docs, just stated in more of layman's terms.  The third provided a "solution" that was completely unacceptable as in shutting down the production database and making some changes that we did not want in the first place.  Not impressed as far as support/troubleshooting tool.  As a co-worker stated, seems to be more of a toy for DBAs rather than a serious tool right now.

Regarding Rimini Street, they flat out told us they are not licensed in any way, shape or form to download and supply upgrades or patches.  It states this in our contract as well.  They do have some smart people, but we don't seem to get them on the first round when we open a ticket.

I appreciate all the feedback.  Thank you.

Sandy

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 6:23 AM Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay_at_gmail.com> wrote:
Sandra,

  As others have pointed out, ChatGPT really isn't a viable solution.  AI may reach this point in the next few years, but as of now it is good for assisting with writing employee reviews, memos, and explaining some things in layman's terms.  In other words, AI will replace your boss before it replaces you.

Jay

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 4:26 PM Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> wrote:
My boss is pushing my DBA team to use chatGPT for troubleshooting Oracle errors instead of using google or MOS.  Has anyone had experience using it for this purpose?  What has your experience been?  Would you recommend it as another tool in the toolbox or as a replacement?

Would appreciate any feedback.

--
Sandy B.

--