RE: fio tool to size BW, throughput and latency Oracle, Postgres , Mysql workloads

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 09:51:50 -0500

I suppose you could create your own test from the system up, but most likely you can learn what you need to know from SLOB, and I’d bet a dozen donuts that https://kevinclosson.net/slob/ will provide you with better information than anything you cobble together with system tools. (Individual systems tools might help you find what is misconfigured if SLOB shows poor results compared to what you think the resources you have deployed.)

Good luck.

This: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Block/References/samplefiocommandslinux.htm

probably has commands you can pattern match to your case if you really want to do it yourself. Even if you proceed because you want to learn a bit, I would check your answer with SLOB.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kunwar singh Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2023 9:17 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: fio tool to size BW, throughput and latency Oracle, Postgres , Mysql workloads

Happy new year Listers!

I am trying to run fio <https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html> and I cannot get the right combination of commands for below systems I am sizing for.

  1. OLTP
iops ,bw, latency are important to size correctly to avoid latency. but rate= parameter doesn't seem to work.

2. DSS Should I just focus on iops and bw here

3. Mixed

How do I play with fio to get the right set of commands using rwmixread/write?

Few questions:

  • Do I have to ensure all the disks are created in the target before I run the tests?
  • Can you please share your examples of fio commands for 1,2,3 above
  • How to set the numjobs correctly?
--

Cheers,
Kunwar