RE: [External] : Re: Connecting to SQL Server from Oracle

From: Jeff Smith <"Jeff>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 13:44:45 +0000

Give SQL Server some REST APIs to hit instead (powered by ORDS, of course)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2022 3:11 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: [External] : Re: Connecting to SQL Server from Oracle

On 12/10/22 20:26, Hameed, Amir wrote:
Hi,
Is there a way to establish a connection from Oracle to SQL Server without using the Oracle Gateway? We have a requirement to pull data from SQL Server and into Oracle only once a month and we don’t want to spend money on licensing Oracle Gateway. The OS platform is for Oracle Solaris.

Thank you,
Amir

You can always use free HSODBC gateway. It's described here:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/odbcu/index.html

I've set it up several times, but not for SQL Server. It worked with MySQL and PostgreSQL. I don't see any issues with SQL Server. There is FreeTDS SQL Server ODBC driver for Slowaris:

https://www.opencsw.org/package/freetds/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.opencsw.org/package/freetds/__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!PrLjX_o-xi5vOILeWHTceysSfiO9CnFep_1aHP6jALmC6H2VeI_5l4GrIlvK7DJZLwtog2e7V6cDaksBEO_RJn0LbQ$>

You will need another listener and that's about it. That should hold water for once a month operations.

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant

Tel: (347) 321-1217

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/dbwhisperer.wordpress.com__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!PrLjX_o-xi5vOILeWHTceysSfiO9CnFep_1aHP6jALmC6H2VeI_5l4GrIlvK7DJZLwtog2e7V6cDaksBEO8BEccV0g$>
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Dec 12 2022 - 14:44:45 CET

Original text of this message