Re: High response time with top 'Other' and 'application' wait class

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 00:27:13 -0500

Oh I just noticed that the CB table is just 41 rows. How big is it in segment size (blocks) and does DBA_TABLES.BLOCKS also show a tiny number?

Do you have *_serial_direct_read* set to *always* by any chance? (that would explain why direct path read/smart scans are attempted even on tiny tables).

Could still be some bug too, sometimes bugs that get fixed in a version, aren't completely fixed to cater for all scenarios and complexity levels...

But if you created a nice index to avoid the FTS completely and got index range scan/index unique scan instead, the problem would likely be gone. Even without bugs, doing smart scan on a 41 row table is gonna have much higher overhead than just doing a single buffer get into a single-block index in the buffer cache.

--
Tanel Poder
https://learn.tanelpoder.com