Re: RMAN Restore/Duplicate without Catalog

From: Sanjay Mishra <"Sanjay>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:52:31 +0000 (UTC)

 Hi Lucas
Thanks for your update and this was missing in my earlier failed attempts. I am making another attempt and so far it is working as required. Thanks again for your time and will update the findings. TxSanjay

    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 07:14:34 PM EST, Lucas Pimentel Lellis <lucaslellis_at_gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Sanjay
You can keep the current instance online, but you need to use the same db_name on your init.ora and the ORACLE_SID and db_unique_name must be different. You also need to remember to do a "set newname" /"switch datafile" for the database on your rman script and an "alter database rename file" for all your redo logs before you do a resetlogs. Em dom, 27 de nov de 2022 20:21, Sanjay Mishra <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> escreveu:

 Mladen
Thanks for the update. The issue is in restoring the existing database with a different name on the same server. So it looks like we can only restore if another database is stopped. Is it correct?  TxSanjay

    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 01:38:54 AM EST, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

   On 11/25/22 16:07, Sanjay Mishra wrote:

 Thank Mladen
  Does this mean that we cannot restore the database to a different name on the same server when Catalog is not used?

You can always change the name once your database is open. Just re-create controlfile and change the parameter db_name. Don't forget to clean up the old directory structure of $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms after renaming the database. It doesn't take long to do that.

 --
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant