RE: Is it just me, or has Oracle completely lost the plot?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 14:22:52 -0400

I believe the Helsinki model is still the best, but Oracle needs to accentuate the tools they have to offload as much as possible to be pre-cooked when the database thick transactions take place, and to accentuate how to use those tools.

Making tutorials on how to set up transaction service daemons on the database server, particularly via obscure transaction ids with encrypted data parameters instead of shipping code (sql) from the middle tier would be an enormous advance. (That sort of technology was mandatory in 1986 to 1988 (v4 and v5) when table locking was the best anyone except DaTaSyS had (and only 10 companies had DaTaSyS). Oddly enough this has almost died out with the predominant service daemon being the listeners…

Sigh. Join the cranky old man club.

The eventual winner of the time-sharing* wars will be the ones who facilitate minimizing the size of data transmitted to do the same thing whilst maximizing transaction rates by reducing the tendency toward remote! concurrency overhead.

*time-sharing := the ancient name for “cloud” defined circa 1963 by Thomas E. Kurtz and John G. Kemeny. (I miss them both.)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jon Crisler Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2022 7:17 PM
To: christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Is it just me, or has Oracle completely lost the plot?

They need the features when doing comparisons with other products . My problem is that the amount of bugs seems to be growing the last few years , which I attribute to some change in the QA / Testing process . It is quite irritating to trip onto some bug, then find out the bug report has been languishing for 2-3 years without progress .

My other complaint is that the documentation effort seems to have slacked off .

Sent from my Atari 2600

On Oct 23, 2022, at 6:16 PM, Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:

This is going to sound like old man / old technologist complaints, and it may be.

But I am a technologist and the more I work with new versions of Oracle , the less and less satisfied I am with the new versions.

Stuffing JSON, XML, CDC and whatever else into the database server *used to make sense* when the db server was the power house - when CPU, storage, network were expensive and your db server had all the horse power.

Today is not that day. Today you can spin up a middle tier cluster with tons of CPU power, god awful network bandwidth and amazing storage.

Since 12.1 I have spent more time with support and yelling at them to listen and to get an engineer on the call then all the years before (going back to 7.1).

These ORA-01555 errors that come up with everything _besides_ actual rollback / undo space issues are incredibly incredibly annoying.

It's no wonder people are leaving Oracle in DROVES - you have the licensing, you have the bugs and you have the support issues.

Add to that Oracle stuffs their database product with so much stuff that no one uses, its no wonder people are leaving.

I'm so fed up and looking forward to getting off Oracle and re-routing my career into something new (postgres, snowflake, dynamo db , anything besides Oracle and their issues).

End of rant. Just wondering if I'm alone in this or not?

Chris