Re: Oracle code wrapping

From: Niklas Iveslatt <niklas.iveslatt_at_arisant.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:03:56 -0600

My cents on this discussion and I think much of it has been said already :)

If the code is wrapped it just makes it harder to work with and debug. It slows down production support tasks where you may need to be able to look at some PL/SQL to see what is going on. Unified Auditing in the newer version can also be used in the new version to help monitor what is going on with unauthorized changes. You can also look at LAST_DDL_TIME on DBA_OBJECTS to see when something was modified and then alert using your existing monitoring tool.

So probably process and training coupled with some auditing/monitoring may be a good and healthy middle ground given the technology involved rather than I don't trust and therefore obscure, which ultimately will slow down troubleshooting, which leads to more outages and other problems.

For whatever that is worth.

Niklas Iveslatt
Senior Partner

Arisant LLC ~ http://www.arisant.com
44 Inverness Dr. E Bldg. C Suite 2 ~ Englewood, CO 80112 mobile: 303.882.4461 ~ main: 303.330.4065 ~ fax: 888.889.0155

  Need to send me something securely? *Click here* <https://arisant.sendsafely.com/u/niklas.iveslatt>