Re: Query ASH for Undo Blocks

From: Mohamed Houri <mohamed.houri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:39:59 +0200

Hello

It's true that I haven't used it too often to tell you if it's reliable or not but I have the following script in my library

select

     decode(current_obj#
            ,0
            ,'undo block'
            ,-1
            ,'cpu'
            ,current_obj#) cur_obj

   , count(1)
from

     gv$active_session_history
where

   sample_time between to_date('&date_from', 'ddmmyyyy hh24:mi:ss')

                  and  to_date('&date_from', 'ddmmyyyy hh24:mi:ss')
and event = '*db file sequential read*'
and sql_id = '&sql_id'
group by current_obj#
order by 2 asc;

For a wait event = *db file sequential read* -- if current_obj = 0 then this means you are reading from undo block(useful to check read consistency)
-- if current_obj = -1 then this means you are working on cpu

Best regards
Mohamed Houri

Le lun. 13 juin 2022 à 13:21, Lok P <loknath.73_at_gmail.com> a écrit :

> We normally check the undo read percentage from Ash history by verifying
> how many samples are with current_obj# as 0. If it's non zero then should
> be actual table/index block but not undo. And -1 points to on CPU. But yes
> it won't say if it's 'consistent read related undo' or 'delayed block
> cleanout related undo'. For that we need to refer the run time session
> statistics as Nenad pointed out.
>
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022, 4:32 pm Noveljic Nenad, <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think yes, but it's only useful in the case when the buffer gets result
>> in read wait events. But what if all the undo blocks needed are already
>> cached?
>>
>> You can check if the session statistics for "%undo records applied" is
>> increasing:
>> https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:::::P11_QUESTION_ID:9542989000346736054
>>
>> Alternatively, you can trace the Oracle C function kcbgtcr with bpftrace.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Nenad

Houri Mohamed

Oracle DBA-Developer-Performance & Tuning

Visit My         - Blog <http://www.hourim.wordpress.com/>

Let's Connect -
<http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/mohamed-houri/11/329/857/>*Linkedin
Profile <http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/mohamed-houri/11/329/857/>*