RE: RMAN Restore Error

From: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:55:42 +0000

I guess it won’t work. The database is in noarchive mode and the recovery is asking for a log that no longer exists.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Scott Canaan Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 7:45 AM
To: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN Restore Error

It appears that the issue was that the CommVault configuration was wrong – likely a wrong password for RMAN. When I checked the RMAN log in CommVault, I found:

  • using target database control file instead of recovery catalog So, CommVault was not able to connect to RMAN to store the backup information. I removed the line from the restore for the control files and I’m using the original control files to do the restore. Hopefully that will work.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 6:40 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: RMAN Restore Error

On 5/24/22 14:34, Scott Canaan wrote:
database reset to incarnation 153416350

I've had problems like that with the wrong incarnation. Can list backup of database and check the incarnation?

Regards

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant