Re: [External] : Re: Oracle 21c

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:26:55 -0400

On 5/12/22 13:33, Andrew Kerber wrote:
Huh. I have been doing out of place patching and out of place upgrades since at least oracle 10.2. I never realized we needed a whole new paradigm in order to do them successfully.

Quite frankly, neither have I. I have also run into this "read only home" nonsense and it's annoying. The DBS directory is in $ORACLE_BASE/dbs. What happens if you need several instances on one machine? Are we going back to the Tom Kyte's "one machine - one instance" paradigm? What is the advantage of read only homes? You can put them on ACFS?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Original text of this message