RE: Minimize recovery time

From: Clay Jackson <"Clay>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:55:10 +0000

1 - "Read, Mark, Learn and Inwardly digest" both Tim Gorman's and MWF's responses; especially the process Tim suggested for gathering requirements 2 - It would appear that DataGuard has you pretty well covered for "normal" sorts of disasters and outages, and that your (or your management's) concern now is "What happens if my entire system gets corrupted and/or hijacked, including my DataGuard "backups"?"

It seems to me that a SECOND DataGuard stream, with an "apply delay" of some reasonable number would solve that problem at only the cost of the additional disk space (and a tiny bit of "overheard"). And Mark's suggestion about engaging some folks with actuarial expertise could help determine the feasibility of such a solution.

Good luck!

Clay Jackson

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 3:56 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Minimize recovery time

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On 4/27/22 06:34, Lok P wrote:
Yes we have dataguard setup , but this agreement is in place in case of both primary and dataguard DB fails because of disaster or corruption etc.

Is your standby on another Exadata or is it on a COTS machine like Dell or HP? It the latter is the case, you can use something like TimeKeeper, SnapVault or Hure (Hitachi Universal Replicator), which is much faster than traditional RMAN backup. Unfortunately, Oracle doesn't have anything like DB2 ACS which would enable cataloging the snapshots. You can use a commercial backup suite to facilitate snapshot backups. CommVault, Rubrik, Cohesity and Veeam can all manage snapshots.

You cannot use that if your standby is another Exadata. In that case, you need to configure several 10Gb Ethernet adapters and bond them into a single adapter. Single 10Gb adapter can achieve up to 3 TB/hour. With 4 10Gb bonded into a single interface you can achieve throughput of 12TB/hour. If your backup destination can write that fast, and you'll need a good SAN for that, you are fine.

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant

Tel: (347) 321-1217

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdbwhisperer.wordpress.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cclay.jackson%40quest.com%7C3acaddfe70f64a73f12a08da28a117d4%7C91c369b51c9e439c989c1867ec606603%7C0%7C1%7C637866969678848643%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=DYcVPKOQBbx4F6fwFAZ%2Fs5ijqQBTQJuPR2XWc4G6r5k%3D&reserved=0>

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Apr 28 2022 - 01:55:10 CEST

Original text of this message