Re: Need design suggestion , whether index organized table is good choice here

From: Andy Sayer <andysayer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:26:20 +0000

I don’t think it was tongue in cheek.

This doesn’t look very ETL, it looks TEL as you are doing the transform in the source environment. The whole point of an ETL is to reduce the workload on your source environment, this isn’t doing that.

A good solution for the overall problem could look more like: * Incremental changes from source database (only read what’s changed and what will make a difference to what you have on your target system). * Staging area that calculates what needs changing based on the source changes
* Load these changes to the target system.

The staging area could be on your target system.

There are many products you can purchase to make this go smoothly but it will depend on your budget and amount of effort you’re willing to make. This is where an outside consultant can really help you decide (yes, you’ll end up paying a lot but if they have the expertise and can properly determine what your needs are then you are going to be in a much better place).

Thanks,
Andy