RE: emcli Confusion

From: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:41:04 +0000

Yes, I was copying it originally from a webpage, then a word doc. I really hate it when word in particular is “helpful”. It does the same thing with single quotes.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: Andy Wattenhofer <watt0012_at_umn.edu> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 3:36 PM To: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: emcli Confusion

It really looks to me like the '-' (hyphen) character in your command line is actually a '–' (dash). Are you copying the commands from a web page or a Word doc? Some page formatting software tries to be cute and convert hyphens to dashes for you.

Here's my own test to confirm:

Andy

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 1:43 PM Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> wrote: I’m looking at upgrading Cloud Control from 13.4 to 13.5 on Red Hat 8. One of the steps is to enable auditing of “Delete Target” in emcli. The instructions say to do the following:

emcli update_audit_settings
 –operations_to_enable=”DELETE_TARGET”  –audit_switch=”ENABLE”

I’ve tried doing this all on one line:

emcli update_audit_settings –operations_to_enable=”DELETE_TARGET” –audit_switch=”ENABLE”

and I get the following error:

oracle_at_dbmon06:OMS_HOME>able=”Delete Target” –audit_switch=”ENABLE” < Syntax Error: Too many positional arguments

  • "–operations_to_enable=”Delete" "Target”" "–audit_switch=”ENABLE”"

I’ve tried doing it on three lines, as above and as I see it in all the documentation, but get the following:

oracle_at_dbmon06:OMS_HOME>emcli update_audit_settings –operations_to_enable=”DELETE_TARGET” –audit_switch=”ENABLE”
Successfully updated the audit settings. oracle_at_dbmon06:OMS_HOME>
-ksh: –operations_to_enable=”DELETE_TARGET”: invalid variable name oracle_at_dbmon06:OMS_HOME>–audit_switch=”ENABLE” -ksh: –audit_switch=”ENABLE”: invalid variable name

And when I check the settings, Delete Target isn’t set.

How am I supposed to do this?