Re: strange sysbackup issue

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:49:24 -0600

A new profile parameter PASSWORD_ROLLOVER_TIME allows to change a database account password, without a downtime for the application that needs to use this password.

See also:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/21/nfcon/gradual-database-password-rollover-for-applications-222774864.html

This parameter was originally developed for 21c and was backported in version 19.12. It can be set for a profile, but also the alter user syntax was enhanced.

Essentially it means for a certain time a user can login with either the old or with the new password. The maximum allowed time is 7 days.

Some accounts (administrative) can not use this, probably for security reasons.
ORA-28227: Gradual password rollover is not supported for administrative users.

Julian Dontcheff explains the parameter in more detail: https://juliandontcheff.wordpress.com/2021/08/06/life-grace-and-rollover-time-of-passwords-in-the-oracle-database/

For security consideration check this post by Rodrigo Jorge: https://www.dbarj.com.br/en/2020/12/21c-gradual-database-password-rollover-brings-new-backdoor-opportunities/