RE: Issues with server and need to restore controlfiles and spfiles

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 09:01:00 -0500

If you are on UNIX or a UNIX plagiarized reimplemented design, tracing the start of the application (oracle) to see where it is looking for the files and in what order it is looking for them (it will stop if it finds one in its search order). This is more often done with the listener, but last time I tried it worked with the oracle binary as well.

Tim Gorman’s post is spot on but I would quibble slightly, changing the adjective “good” to “barely acceptable” regarding the least bad release/version/patch of 11.

I would be quite surprised if any application that ran on 11 at all ran less well on the least bad 11.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Monday, January 10, 2022 6:24 PM
To: Andy Klock
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Issues with server and need to restore controlfiles and spfiles

Andy,

We used the snapshot controlfile to restore to an NFS mount on the new non-ASM host. We then tried to start the database nomount using that controlfile. It came right up. We stopped there due to some other issues we needed to deal with. I believe using the Redirect in Commvault, we should be able to do the restore onto the new server now. We'll test with one of the databases tomorrow.

Sandy

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM Andy Klock <andy_at_klockmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sandy,

On Monday, January 10th, 2022 at 3:34 PM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, it's very suspicious to me. No, at this time I can't get the errors from the logs. I don't have the logs available to me and would need to get them restored. I am more interested in how do we get these databases back online than in finding the root cause right now

Agreed, I guess I meant that if you try to start an instance now, what are the errors that you are getting. I'm guessing you can't even start the ASM instances. On a separate reply, Tim suggested troubleshooting verifying that your asm devices are mapped properly. That makes sense.

As for snaphot controlfiles, if you have one then you just need to point to it in your s/pfile, right? But, my guess is you'll end up in the same place since your datafiles live on ASM. :)

Andy K

--

Sandy B.

--