Re: Difference in temp table insert performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:47:15 +0000

Well done.
So changing from 11.2.0.4.0 to 11.2.0.4.1 may make a difference to the performance, and you've also discovered a detail in a MOS note that (probably) isn't available in the Reference Manuals and might be version dependent. I hope you now understand why I am often a little vague about what should work in one release and what might change in some unspecified release of a newer version when I don't have access to the data, the application, the (identical) software or the platform (all of which are available when I'm doing work for a paying client),

Generally I know what ought to be possible; and a lot of the time I know what isn't yet possible (for the client's versions); but knowing exactly what IS possible (or will shortly become possible) depends on a lot of details that aren't always easy to find. My guideline is:

a) Know what might be possible
b) Check the relevant manuals
c) Check the MOS Knowledgebase
d) Check the MOS bug database
e) Internet search (Oracle-L, Oracle forums, generic google) -- > may lead
to repeat from (b) with better search terms f) do the experiment - starting small then growing in scale and complexity until it breaks or you're satisfied.

You picked up on the firect path read requests / approximate read time (336K/1277) ... which is good. But that was one detail that prompted me to comment on the flash cache stuff. The average read time is around 3.5 - 4.00 milliseconds: which is slow for flash cache.

Another thought cross my mind about that following your reminder about the object id being wrong. The wait event parameters can tell you something:

NAME                           : direct path read temp
PARAMETER1                     : file number
PARAMETER2                     : first dba
PARAMETER3                     : block cnt

NAME                           : direct path write temp
PARAMETER1                     : file number
PARAMETER2                     : first dba
PARAMETER3                     : block cnt

Even if the object id is about one of the permanent tables you can check whether the file number is one of the temporary files. I think (based on my memory of trace files) that for temporary files the p1 file number will be the tempfile number PLUS the value of the db_files parameter.

Regards
Jonathan