Re: Moving 2-node RAC to AWS

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:02:59 -0700

Thanks to everyone for the advice and links. Just need to lay out my presentation for management and the stakeholders. Based on working with these databases for the past year, I don't believe they need RAC if the AWS instance is sized appropriately. HA seems to be the biggest concern and I believe we can address that with a primary/standby configuration. We do plan to put our 12c (upgrading to 19c) databases in RDS. Our 9i, 10g, and 11g databases are the sticklers. We'll be using Stromasys for the 9i databases.

Cost of keeping multiple data centers open is one of the main drivers behind moving everything to AWS. I was not involved at the beginning of this project, but it doesn't appear that any analysis was done to see the feasibility of moving everything to the cloud. After we finish with Oracle, we still have MySQL, postgres and MSSQL to move.

Thanks again,

Sandy

--
Sandy B.