Re: Things to consider during upgrade/migration

From: <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 12:29:01 +0000

Hi Lok,

I suspect the answer to this probably lies in your corporate appetite for risk and the reasons for the upgrade. The original question was "How do I upgrade or migrate with minimal changes to performance?". Andy has covered this (I might have added set OFE to the source version as well). The approach of capturing baselines for the application workload and using them is great for predictable performance and is *really* useful as Andy says for finding SQL statements that might need attention. This enables you to minimize the amount of performance work done at upgrade time.

However, if you are moving from 11.2 to 19c (~ten years of development), and especially if you are moving platform as well you may well want *not* to maintain performance as it was, but to take advantage of the various enhancements that come with later versions of the database, to do that you will need to allow the database to use the CBO as intended by Oracle and then fix regressions on a case by case basis. You'd likely end up with a better performing application, but with a higher risk and a greater testing requirement. Given the amount of change that you are intending to undertake, I suspect that this would actually be a better approach.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA